50 Existential Questions That Will Get You Into Deep Thought Immediately
Life is full of questions both big and small. It doesn’t matter whether the questions are funny or whether the questions are serious, existential questions are part of life that seems to be full of interesting information.
In this article, we’re going to look at the ins and outs of these existential questions as well as discuss several types of questions that are common.
Here is what you need to know.
What is an Existential Question?
Most commonly seen in literature and films, the existential question comes usually after a character experiences a type of existential crisis.
When a character is stripped of their most basic concepts of humanity or when they are separated from their routines, the question of “what is it really about?” is common.
In other words, an existential question simply means a question that concerns the overall essence of what it means for an individual to be alive and breathing.
With this idea in mind, it is no wonder that so many people ask these questions.
How to Ask an Existential Question?
An existential question is simply a question involving the consideration of the essence of living and being alive.
It is actually fairly simple to ask an existential question. In fact, even children ask these questions sometimes, especially as they start to contemplate life and how things work.
Deep thought (which is just another term for existential question) is actually beneficial to our bodies and minds; and asking these questions is easier than you might think.
Start by considering mortality, life after death, and more.
It might seem scary at first since we can’t ever find a definite answer to these questions.
However, after several studies, these deep thought questions can be beneficial in lowering the body’s levels of anxiety and depression.
When it comes to asking these existential questions, there are three tips you can follow.
First, you need to open up your mind to the possibilities.
Second, be respectful of others around you. For example, don’t be the one to ask the deep thought questions during a time where they are not needed.
Finally, you should relax and have fun with these questions. Don’t let them drag down your conversations, and keep a positive attitude to make them a memorable experience.
The Top 30 Thought Provoking Existential Questions
There are many types of questions that capture the essence of living in the form of deep thought.
Here are 30 incredibly thought-provoking questions that will get your deep thought processes rolling.
- Am I doing the right thing?
- What does the word “life” mean for you?
- Is there a power out there greater than humanity?
- Which is more important, the ends or the means?
- How is life measured?
- What is my purpose in life?
- Why are we on Earth?
- Why do we always mess up and make mistakes?
- Is a person made up of their mind or their body?
- Can there be truth without any evidence?
- What is the difference between existing and living?
- What do I need most?
- Are we a part of something bigger?
- Is their life after death?
- Am I dreaming right now?
- If you could see the future, would you use the power?
- Is there such a thing as destiny?
- Is there life elsewhere in the universe?
- Why does humanity hurt one another?
- What makes me special?
- Is there a way to give yourself to someone without losing yourself in the process?
- Are soulmates real?
- What is a commitment?
- Why do we do things we don’t like if life is short?
- When do our lives truly begin?
- Does life have a true meaning?
- Do animals have the same life meaning as humans?
- Is fate real?
- Is free will a true thing?
- What constitutes a good life?
The Top 10 Best Funny Existential Questions
Many people think that an existential question should be deep and thoughtful, but they can be fun and humorous as well.
Here are 10 funny questions to get you thinking.
- Was the first person to have twins confused?
- Do you wake up after dying in a dream because you don’t know what happens next?
- If we live in the universe, are we not aliens just living on our home planet?
- Is there someone stranded on a deserted island right now?
- Do our pets know our names?
- If you expect the unexpected, does that make the unexpected the expected?
- Why do we consider the towels dirty if we use them after we get out of the shower clean?
- If they call it “quicksand,” why do people sink slowly into it?
- If you try to fail but then succeed, which one happened: succeed or fail?
- Are there synonyms for the word “synonym”?
10 Great Existential Question Conversation Topics
While it is great to consider these questions on your own, it is even more fun to ask some of these questions with your friends or family.
Here are 10 incredible questions that you can use to start meaningful and deep conversations.
- What do you think will finally and completely break the internet?
- If you have a boat, what would you name it?
- Which fictional character would be incredibly boring to meet in real life?
- What is the worst purchase you’ve ever made?
- What is the best purchase you’ve ever made?
- If you changed your name, what would you change it to and why?
- What are things that are insults that sound like compliments?
- If you have to lose a body part, which would you give up?
- What is the closest thing in this world to true magic?
- If you had a chance to know the truth about anything, what would you want to know?
There are many things in life that should be considered.
An existential question is one of the things that help you, and I consider the things of life and living.
Many people have looked negatively at these questions, saying that they might cause anxiety about things we don’t have the answers for.
However, it has been shown that asking the questions in a group setting and considering various pieces of life and the world can improve mental health in certain circumstances.
It is safe to say that the existential questions on your mind can be useful to your living in many ways.